TOAV: Test of Attentional Vigilance
Our implementation of the T.O.V.A. (Test of variables of attention). Similar in intent to the pcpt task. A white square appears briefly on the screen, with a black square within it. Participant must respond only to targets--the black square on top. For the first half of the test, targets are rare; for the second half, they are frequent.
Although inspired by the commercial TOVA product, there are several notable differences:
- The TOAV only offers a visual mode, where TOVA offers visual and auditory modes
- The complete TOVA system uses hardware microswitches which may offer more precise response time metrics
- The available norms for the TOVA system may not be applicable to PEBL's version of the test.
No easily controlled experimental options exist.
 Data Output
Data stored in toav-<gsubnum>.txt. File columns are:
subnum trialnum target_present toofast responded correct multiple-response starttime responsetime
Detailed report in toav-report-<gsubnum>.txt . Data reported include number of trials, correct targets, correct foils, correct trials, commission errors, ommission errors, correct RT mean, error RT mean, RT mean, RT sd, anticipations, and multiple responses, for first and second half of test.
Implementation based on description in:
- Forbes, G. B. (1998). Clinical Utility of the Test of Variables of Attention (TOVA) in the Diagnosis of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 54 (4), 461-476.
- Leark, R. A., Greenberg, L. K., Kindschi, C. L., Dupuy, T. R., & Hughes, S. J. (2007). Test of Variables of Attention: Clinical Manual. Los Alamitos: The TOVA Company
- Greenberg, L. M. , & Waldman, I D. (1993). Developmental normative data on the Test of Variable of Attention (T.O.V.A. tm). Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 34, 1019-1030.