The PEBL Connections Task, An implementation of the task described by Salthouse et al. (2000), originally based on Zahlen Verbindsungs Test, which according to Salthouse was introduced by Oswald and Roth (1978) and has been described in Vernon (1993).
This task is located in battery/connections/connections.pbl
##Could be 'mouse' or 'touch', currently no differences. gInputDevice <- "mouse"
##Now, use 7x7 as the test size: wide <- 7 high <- 7
##Time limit in seconds. Use -1 for no time limit. timelimit <- 20
 Data Output
Data are saved to the file data/connections-XX.csv in the data folder.
In that file,
- subnum Participant code
- type type: number or numletter (i.e., pure versus switch)
- trial Trial number
- width width (usually 7)
- height height (usually 7)
- length Number of targets clicked
- sumdist Total distance of path
- anglesum sum of absolute value of angles
- sumoptions sum of the number of options available at each click
- entropy total entropy score (Shannon's H)
- numclicks number of clicks made (includes errors)
- lastclick counter of last target clicked; should be the same as length
- rt time of trial, from first click to time-out
- time total time for trial, including first-click time
- s001, s002, etc. indicate the path; what order the path was created in.
There is also a click-by-click record saved in data/connections-path-XX.csv. These columns are unlabeled, and look like this:
33,1,letternum,7,7,2,1,383,234,8,1,2,1,1320 33,1,letternum,7,7,2,2,468,164,9,2,3,0,1863 33,1,letternum,7,7,1,2,468,164,2,3,3,1,2370 33,1,letternum,7,7,2,2,554,164,9,4,4,0,2827 33,1,letternum,7,7,1,3,554,164,3,5,4,1,3347 33,1,letternum,7,7,2,3,468,234,10,6,5,0,4280 33,1,letternum,7,7,2,2,468,234,9,7,5,1,4744
- type (see above)
- rows, columns Problem size
- currentrow, currentcol row/column index of clicked-on circle
- xvalue, yvalue (pixel position of clicked target)
- pathID ID of target clicked on
- clickcount counter of clicks
- pathlength current length of path
- correct whether click was correct
- abstime Absolute time of click during trial
Salthouse, T. A., Toth, J., Daniels, K., Parks, C., Pak, R., Wolbrette, M., et al. (2000). Effects of aging on the efficiency of task switching in a variant of the Trail Making Test. Neuropsychology, 14, 102–111.