Balloon Analog Risk Task
PEBL implementation of a task originally by Lejuez, which is available for free download from http://www.addiction.umd.edu/CAPERWebSite/downloads.html Users may prefer PEBL version because of ability to tweak, change sampling characteristics, or to integrate with other PEBL tasks.
This task is located in battery/BART/BART.pbl
This is a fairly straight-forward implementation of the task. It includes animation and sound playback for a more engaging task.
Variables that can impact the task:
gAllowAutoPump <- 0 ##Does the balloon continue to pump up while holding the button down? gStartBalloonSize <- 10 ##Size in pixels of initial balloon gMoneyPerPump <- .05 ##Money per pump lifes <- [8,16,128] ##Max number of pumps for the three balloon sizes ##Colors for the three balloon types: cols <- [MakeColor("darkorange"),Makecolor("gold"),MakeColor("darkslateblue")]
 Data Output
Data are saved into a .csv file with the following columns:
subnum trial type life pumps total collected burst time
- subnum: participant code given
- trial: trial number
- type: balloon type (color); 1=orange, 2=gold, 3=blue
- life: number of lives the particular chosen balloon would have if pumped until burst
- pumps: number of pumps given
- total: total amount of money earned
- collected: amount collected on that trial
- burst: whether the balloon burst
- time time (in ms) spent on the trial
Lejuez, C. W., Read, J. P., Kahler, C. W., Richards, J. B., Ramsey, S. E., Stuart, G. L., Strong, D. R., & Brown, R. A. (2002). Evaluation of a behavioral measure of risk-taking: The Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART). Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 8, 75-84.